Omega Pocket Watch

Antika Saatler ve Cep Saatleri Üzerine Paylaşımlar

Re: Omega Pocket Watch

Mesaj osytrk » 18 Mar 2016, 01:49

Or maybe you may want to get this one? >>> http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alisveri ... 2071/detay
Kullanıcı avatarı
osytrk

Mesajlar: 4
Kayıt: 17 Mar 2016, 21:05

Mesaj intime » 18 Mar 2016, 14:31

@darksider, thanks a lot for the translation. It definitely puts things into a better perspective.

I have seen such hinged Omega pocket watches with screw in bezels and thick glass. They are more common on the US and Canadian market. In fact I have a few myself.
However, American Railroad watches had a few standards, and during their times, they rapidly gained fame for their accuracy. Nowadays, we see many similar watches that have locomotive motifs to the back, but most are not railroad watches.
These watches are called "Train watches". "Train watch" only refers to case style (locomotive motifs), while a genuine Railroad watch is a watch that meets the General Railroad Timekeeping Standards.

However, a train watch and a railroad watch has some common features. One of them is the case. Most of the case makers were locals like Dennison, Starr, Waltham, Elgin, American Watch case, etc. (one of the reasons was to protect their local watchmaking industry) and Omega had no option but to adopt the stile in order to export their manufacture to the American soil.
Soon after they gained popularity, Omega made their own hinged cases and retailed them even in Europe. They did not have the same success, but it is worth mentioning that such hinged cases with screw in bezels do exist, either in nickel (sometimes referred as Silveroid) and even silver.
The fact that Turkish railroads adopted this case style is quite a novelty, especially considering that most of the European railways watches had different case styles.
Even in terms of movement quality, the European Railways standards were different then the US/Canadian standards. In Europe most of the pocket watches observed had 15 jewels ebauches and only rarely Chronometer quality movements. But even for the European Railways the competition was fierce between manufacturers, thus from time to time, to overcome the rest or just because they were capable of such creations, we see, out in the wild, top of the class chronometers made for Railroad services.

The fact that I should focus on an Omega pocket watch with ottoman dial delivered outside the walls of Istanbul or far from Anatolia has occurred to me many times. But given the actual context or various other barriers in trying to establish a solid route to one, I'm not flippant to think that I'll have much luck elsewhere.

Greetings,
Kullanıcı avatarı
intime

Mesajlar: 5
Kayıt: 11 Mar 2016, 11:40

Mesaj ankerhemmung » 22 Mar 2016, 03:57

Zahmete girip yazdıklarımı İngilizceye çeviren forum üyelerine İntime ve kendim adına teşekkür ediyorum. Başkaca bir şey yazmayacağım zaten. :D
"İNSANA SIR OLANI GÖRDÜĞÜM DEMLER OLDU"
Kullanıcı avatarı
ankerhemmung

Mesajlar: 108
Kayıt: 25 Ağu 2013, 02:30
Konum: İstanbul

Mesaj ankerhemmung » 22 Mar 2016, 04:18

Mesaj osytrk » 18 Mar 2016, 01:49
Or maybe you may want to get this one? >>> http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alisveri ... 2071/detay

Gerçekten güzel bir saatmiş. Fiyatı biraz fazla! galiba ama, yine de alıcısı bulunur belki.
"İNSANA SIR OLANI GÖRDÜĞÜM DEMLER OLDU"
Kullanıcı avatarı
ankerhemmung

Mesajlar: 108
Kayıt: 25 Ağu 2013, 02:30
Konum: İstanbul

Önceki