Omega Pocket Watch

Antika Saatler ve Cep Saatleri Üzerine Paylaşımlar

Omega Pocket Watch

Mesaj intime » 11 Mar 2016, 12:29

Hello to the TSF community,

First of all, excuse the fact that I am writing this message in English, since I have no Turkish knowledge, or just terribly limited language accumulations from previous travels to Turkey, as well the fact that I may be posting in the wrong forum section.
One thing is for sure though, I have a passion for pocket watches, although not limited to.
To make a long story short, this is rather a "want to buy" help message, as for quite some time, I'm looking for an Omega pocket watch with an "Osman" dial.
I have observed quite a variety in stile and period, but my first option would be an enamel from the turn of the 20th century, either in Lepine or Hunter case, although I strongly consider any options available. No matter if a retailer comes up on the dial, besides Omega, as long as it's all original. I am not interested in watches delivered to Ottoman Empire and later Turkish market (including through official channels, like MOD, Railways, Tramways, etc.), that do no carry a dial within the above theme.
Last time I was in Istanbul I have seen a couple, but they all had chipped or affected dials and cases (not to mention the prices), so I limited myself to only observing.
I have also checked in like zigzag the various offers on Sahibinden add site but I couldn't find much or the price has been the issue.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, please don't hesitate to do so. I would highly appreciate all the efforts!

Also, posting here pictures with a few from your collections would only inspire me more!

Thank you your attention!

/F
Kullanıcı avatarı
intime

Mesajlar: 5
Kayıt: 11 Mar 2016, 11:40

Re: Omega Pocket Watch

Mesaj intime » 14 Mar 2016, 09:20

I was so optimistic a couple of days ago... :? and I am still thinking this would be the best place to inquire for directions towards an Omega pocket watch with ottoman dial.

Okay, here's one dial style i'm looking for, although it has various hairlines and cracks + the unpaired hands set, and is of 1910's period, but it serves the purpose. At least exemplifying.

Resim
Source: Google Images

When I said I consider any options, I am also including the key wind in any of the two case versions.
Maybe someone could chime in with me thoughts!

Thanks!

/F
Kullanıcı avatarı
intime

Mesaj o2o » 14 Mar 2016, 13:56

You'r welcome. I hope that you can find what you want.

Old members'll help you when they read your message.
Kullanıcı avatarı
o2o

Mesajlar: 1286
Kayıt: 17 Kas 2015, 18:53

Mesaj khef » 14 Mar 2016, 13:59

Hi intime, welcome to TSF. :champ:
You asked about a pocket watch especially omega with ottoman dial. It's a spesific one and most of the TSF Members are did not interested in pocket watches. Only a few members of TSF know or collect what you asked for. When they saw your message, they will answer from here or send you a direct message. :thumbup:
Kullanıcı avatarı
khef

Mesajlar: 3217
Yaş: 43
Kayıt: 07 Mar 2014, 13:02
Konum: İstanbul

Mesaj hozburun » 14 Mar 2016, 14:17

I am not sure they speak English but please try pm these 2 member for reliable info :thumbup:

ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=15794#axzz42sKZzcuu

ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=11291#axzz42sKRvhCD
Kullanıcı avatarı
hozburun

Mesajlar: 10758
Yaş: 50
Kayıt: 08 Haz 2011, 17:02
Konum: Istanbul

Omega Pocket Watch

Mesaj Cct » 14 Mar 2016, 21:10

Did you go to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul while you were here? If you checked the vintage dealers in Taksim, most of them sells overpriced garbage unfortunately :)

I'm not particularly interested in pocket watches but I've seen some watches similar to these in the section where a lot of vintage dealers are located.
Her türlü saat itinayla takılır.
Kullanıcı avatarı
Cct

Mesajlar: 4846
Yaş: 39
Kayıt: 21 Oca 2013, 20:07

Mesaj ankerhemmung » 16 Mar 2016, 01:28

"Hozburun" nickli arkadaşım benim yabancı dilim Almanca. Üniversiteden kalma İngilizcemle "intime" nickli arkadaşın isteğini anladığımı sanıyorum. Bu stilize edilmiş sözde Osmanlı rakamlarını taşıyan Omega saatleri çok az gördüm. Osmanlı'nın kullandığı rakamları taşıyan Omega saatler de çok az bulunuyor. Gittigidiyor gibi sitelerde bunlara fahiş fiyatlar isteniyor. TCDD öncesi Osmanlı coğrafyasında bulunan demiryolu şirketlerinin (S.C.P gibi) çalışanlarına verilen Zenith yanında Omega saatler de var, ancak bunlar bildiğimiz arabik rakamlı ( şimdi Avrupa'da ve bizde kullandığımız rakamlar) kadranlara sahipler bildiğim kadarıyla. Bende bu stilize edilmiş sözde Osmanlı rakamlı kadranı olan openface bir Zenith var. Ancak onu da kendime saklamak isterim.
Ben de İstanbul Kapalı Çarşı bedesteninde sorulursaböyle bir Omega bulunur sanırım. Ama fiyatı ne olur bilemeyeceğim. Kolay gelsin...
"İNSANA SIR OLANI GÖRDÜĞÜM DEMLER OLDU"
Kullanıcı avatarı
ankerhemmung

Mesajlar: 108
Kayıt: 25 Ağu 2013, 02:30

Mesaj intime » 16 Mar 2016, 13:04

Hello

Thank you all for the kind reaction.

@khef, as per my own observation, each country has it own watch collectors community. Many of these communities have documented and categorized watches distributed for national use to a greater extent. I was wondering if Turkish community has done similar research ?
It goes without saying that former Ottoman Empire meant a vast territory therefore many "colonial" exports, as well many big or small and less important watch dealers, however they are all part of the watch "fauna" that left a bit of watch historical mark throughout history, so I suppose it's worth looking further into it. Through collectibles, one can always improve personal knowledge, even about national heritage.

@hozburun, thanks for the advise.

@cct, true enough. Last November, I have visited the Granz Bazaar vintage dealers, but I haven't really seen a good condition Omega pocket watch. I have seen though some nice Longines, including dual time zones, but I have less interest in the St. Imier's factory.
I have also checked the open fair near the Bazaar and the University, but besides some less important stuff, I haven't really seen anything nice. If there would be a specific vintage watch fair like in Barcelona, Paris, Parma, Munich, Koln, Budapest, Vienna, etc. it would probably be much easier, however I have no knowledge about such a fair in Istanbul.

@ankerhemmung, as far as I could translate your message, here are my thoughts:
Ottoman dialed watches, delivered to the Empire's small or important dealers, highly ranked officials, monarchs, etc. have been around from the early beginnings of watchmaking, to modern days, in all sort of forms and powered with all sorts of movements, from early fusee to cylinder, to table clocks with anker escapements and finally to lever escapements, some of them being crafted by brilliant minded masters of Europe. Most likely, this was the fashion to this part of the world, thus many have resisted to current day.
Among many others, Omega Watch Company was one of the manufacturers to deliver complete watches to the Ottoman Empire market.
Considering the various territorial changes within the Ottoman Empire and the decisional climate that ultimately led to Republic of Turkey, and it's introduced reforms, such as the Adoption of the new Turkish (Latin) Alphabet in 1929, would significantly reduce my research to a small period of time.
The Brandt company started to produce watches since 1894 with the Omega trademark. Thus my research for an Omega pocket watch with an Ottoman dial would be anywhere between 1895 to 1929.
Most of the watches at the end of 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century, delivered to the Ottoman Empire market have been observed having key wind and setting mechanisms. Maybe a traditionalism in the market's request.
Although most of pocket watches delivered to European countries at the turn of the century had already migrated towards crown wind and pin (or lever) set, and even cylinder movements started to be left behind (for their inaccuracy), the fashion within the Ottoman Empire market would only change much later, after the Art Nouveau period.
The same trend has been observed to the British market, with the amendment that the UK manufacturers were still producing a large quantity of the ebauches that powered the pocket watches sold throughout the Kingdom.
This is yet another reason for which the Ottoman market is abundant in key wind watches like Bilodes (Zenith), Longines, Dent, Prior, etc. but is not so uncommon finding key wind Omega pocket watches either.
Omega has been present on the Ottoman market from their early beginnings, delivering watches in both types, either in key set and wind (up to possibly 1915) and crown wind and set up to 1929, so I would not say the deliveries were limited or that these are now rare, but maybe harder to find with a decent dial.

As it happens with the implementation of every new set of rules, the new alphabet may have not been approved by traditionalists, thus it may well be possible that Omega watches with Ottoman dials would have been delivered even after 1929.
It is also known that the Latin Alphabet was a matter discussed as well around 1923 so it was only a matter of time until the new regulation came in effect.
Another interesting fact is that the Omega became the Official Turkish railway watch in 1926 for the Smyrna (Izmir) gulf route. Thus this happened before the adoption of the new alphabet. I would be curious to see such a watch, and especially the dial of such a specimen.

However, I am not particularly looking for an official watch, as I have previously mentioned. I would be happy with any type of watch that would fall into the Ottoman dial theme.

So my quest continues!

/F
Kullanıcı avatarı
intime

Sonraki